Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Banned Book Week! 2012

Taken From http://www.flickr.com/photos/kellinahandbasket

As a part of Banned Book Week I thought I would go back and check out the books from my middle school/ high school days that were considered banned.  I looked at the list from 1990-1999 at American Library Association.  Which books have I read off of the Top 100 Challenged Books?

  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn- By Mark Twain
  •  Of Mice and Men- By John Steinbeck, read in 11th grade English
  • Forever- By Judy Blum,  I was a huge fan of all of her books growing up
  •  Bridge to Terabitia- By Katherine Paterson, a book enjoyed without any worries of it being "bad"
  • The Catcher in the Rye- By J.D. Salinger, this is probably my favorite from 11th grade English.  My teacher loved books that created discussion and dissent.
  •  My Brother Sam is Dead- By James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier, this was read as a required read in middle school during the summer
  • The Giver- By Lois Lowry, I read this as my 7th graders did a few school years ago
  • Alice- By Phyllis Reynolds Naylor-  I remember reading this just to see what the fuss was about
  • The Color Purple- By Alice Walker, we read this before watching the movie in school
  • The Great Gilly Hopkins- By Katherine Paterson, I have read this as a student and with students
  • The Witches By Roald Dahl, I am a fan of all of his work
  • A Wrinkle in Time- By Madeline L'Engle, this is a book that we read in 6th grade that I did not care for
  • Go Ask Alice- By Anonymous, this is another book I read because of the controversy, I also thought the cover was intriguing.
  • Blubber- By Judy Blume, once again I am a huge Blume fan!
  • The Outsiders - By S.E. Hinton, the book all rebels must read :-)
  • To Kill a Mockingbird- By Harper Lee, I loved this book and was excited to be in the play in high school
  • Deenie- By Judy Blume, again I am a fan!
  • Flowers for Algernon-  By Daniel Keyes, I read this in 8th grade.  I remember reading it then getting to go to a theater downtown to watch the movie.  It was quite the big event.
  • James and the Giant Peach- By Roald Dahl, I have read almost all of his books
  • A Light in the Attic- By Shel Silverstein, I love his poems, it was my first book of poetry as a kid
  • Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret- By Judy Blume, I remember thinking how crazy it was that all this was in a book, but didn't think there was anything wrong about it.  Big Blume Fan!
  • The Face on the Milk Carton By Caroline B. Cooney, I loved all of her books.  This one really made you think.
  • Where's Waldo By Martin Hanford-  Who didn't read these growing up?
  • Tiger Eyes-  By Judy Blume, as I said a few times now I loved all her books!

No comments:

Post a Comment