Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Preparing for World Read Aloud Day

On March 6th the world will celebrate World Read Aloud Day. It is a tremendous chance to connect great literature to students. I am busy planning what I might want to do for this day! I have a few ideas that might influence my students.

Here I reflect on myself as a reader. These are questions shared by Lit World

 1. I think everyone in the world should read... 
When I was 10: I was in love with so many books at this age. I think my favorite though was from the Mixed-Up-Files of Mrs. Basil. E. Frankweiler. I also did and still loved The Westing Game.

Now: I think right now my favorite book of the moment is Wonder. I think this book has the power to change the world! I love to read so I could probably list 10-20 other books I am fanatic about as well.

2. If I could listen to anyone in the world read aloud to me it would be...
When I was 10: I loved listening to my mom read as a child. I remember her reading to me many times as I feel asleep at night. When I was around this age I was assigned a summer reading novel that I could not stand. My mom spend many summer afternoons reading aloud to me from this book as we both suffered through it. I still to this day wonder if the teacher ever read it before assigning it.

Now: I think I would still enjoy listening to my mom read aloud. She was a preschool teacher for years and I think she reads aloud with so much energy and passion for reading.

 3. When I read aloud, my favorite character to impersonate is... 

When I was 10: I did not read aloud much at this time as I was an independent reader from a young age. I am guessing any read aloud I did was from books at my mom's work to her preschoolers.

Now: I love to impersonate Grover from the book There is a Monster at the End of this Book! I still remember reading this book out loud in high school and again in college as a part of classroom projects.

 4. The genre that takes up the most room on my bookshelf (or e-reader) is... 

When I was 10: I have always loved reading serial novels. I read all of the Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Baby Sitter's Club, Sweet Valley Twins, and Boxcar Children books I could get my hands on.

Now: Now a days as a middle school teacher I read a ton of Young Adult novels. I love being able to discuss and recommend books. I also read almost all of the top and popular books that come out. I am guilty of not reading many classics.

5. The last book I wish I’d written or inspired me to write my own story is...

 When I was 10: This is a hard question. I think at 10 I was to interested in being a kid :-).

Now: I wish I could write a novel as powerful as Wonder about my experience in middle school. It was not the best experience and I was met with many challenges. Luckily most people I went to school with turned out to be decent people who I hope raise their own children to be kinder than they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment