Saturday, June 29, 2013

#Freeyourwalls



Earlier this year I learned about Ideapaint.  I thought it was a great way to turn an old unused space or surface into something amazing!  I instantly thought it would be awesome to cover a table in, a cabinet door, and at least part of my walls.  I imagine my students using it for interactive bulletin board type situations, for brain storming when writing, and for scratch paper for math.  I have students who struggle or resist "pencil and paper" tasks and I think this would be a great motivator for them.  How awesome would it be for me to be able to write a word bank for students on my table as they take a classroom test and they could cross off answers and erase when they were done all without leaving the table.  While movement in the classroom is important, having to move a lot during a task for supplies can make it very hard for a student to refocus.

I am moving into a new classroom this year, well new to me, it is actually one of the last rooms in the school to get a make over since we moved into the old high school 8 or so years ago.  I love having a space that is inviting, innovative, and inspiring and that is what I am striving for as I design my new learning space.

Here are a few pictures of my room before I do anything to it:


Here is my room with desks still in it. They are all already gone. I use tables for small group work. In the back corner you can see the sink I now have. There is also a huge closet in that corner. Love that the cabinets are gray instead of the typical 70's colors in other parts of the building. I do need to find a rug to help the floor out.




Leftover brackets from the days of pulldown movie screens. These are already gone and the holes are patched thanks to the awesome custodians in my school building. Now this wall is begging for something awesome!



My room has great lower cabinets and tons of outlets, which is great! It has only one ugly bulletin board that must be covered ASAP. Luckily I have lots of ideas for it!


Leftover brackets from the days of pulldown movie screens. These are already gone and the holes are patched thanks to the awesome custodians in my school building. Now this wall is begging for something awesome!





 The outdated dinosaur tv left from the days of Channel 1 News. Can't get rid of it since it was given to us by Channel 1, quite possibly before I was born. Now to come up with something creative for it.
To remind you of what my room used to look like.  This is just one corner, but doesn't it feel warm, inviting, and welcoming?

Dear Ideapaint,
I need your help to help my new room!  I know this can transform my classroom while inspring other teachers in my building to transform their rooms! Help this teacher put inspiration into action!

Love,

Mrs. A.



No comments:

Post a Comment